Friday 5 March 2010

Marriage column in the Times

My first column on marriage started in the Times last Tuesday. It's a lighthearted look at the difficulties of living with someone day in and day out. I know from talking to girlfriends that not everyone has the perfect sex life or the most amazing marriage all the time, and who would want to read about that anyway? Surely that would be boring and slightly smug.

So far the only two comments underneath the article have not been positive. Clearly though these people want to read about a loving, perfect marriage but I just don't think that's a true look at the reality of a long term partnership. They say that it is a depressing look at marriage, but its meant to be funny and sad and true. I think the last line shows that they still love each other. If anyone manages to read it I'd love to know. There will be more on Tuesdays.

6 comments:

  1. I read it and thought it funny and quite true to life - sometimes that is just how life is. i couldn't comment on the article though for some reason - it wouldn't work when i tried to click on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather for words of encouragement.

    To make a comment you have to first register.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the column and thought it was refreshingly honest and you're absolutely right...if you wrote about the perfect marriage, readers would think you were being smug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muummmmeeee thank you so much for your comment. I've written another once since then so will pop it up on my blog. I love the title of your blog and your comment name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,

    My colleague Harriet loves your column so she just gave me a cut out from the Times and now I've found your blog. Believe me, many women love hearing that it's not all roses as it's comforting! I love witty honest writing so thank you for both. I shall look into your other work and I will post on your column if you don't mind. Nice to 'meet' you.
    Iona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the column but couldn't work out the comments either! I think it says it all that the husband is prepared to accept the catsick apron as a nursie outfit ...priceless!

    ReplyDelete

Is It Just Me Or Are Fad Diets a Waste of Time and Money?

I had lunch with a friend the other day. While I tucked into a substantial salad she sipped a sad black tea and boasted that she had lost 9...